Vortex Ministry Launches!

What would this Christmas season look like if massive numbers of people gave up just ONE Christmas present and decided instead to give a gift to someone more in need? This is the idea of GiveUpOne. Will you accept the challenge? Just GiveUpOne. Non-Profits, post a comment about your organization and tell us how we can help. Post a comment about how you have accepted the challenge to GiveUpOne.

What Is GiveUpOne.com?

What would this Christmas season look like if massive numbers of people gave up just ONE Christmas present and decided instead to give a gift to someone more in need?

This is the idea of GiveUpOne. The concept came from a sermon at Northview Christian Life in Carmel, IN. Pastors Stan Killebrew and Dave Choutka delivered a great message about the consumerism and greed that surround the Christmas season. For more on that, go here: http://nvclcommunity.blogspot.com/

My wife and I always get money at Christmas time as part of our gifts. Instead of spending that money on things that we want (after all, we don't need anything), we're going to give away the money to help others that need it more than we do.

Will you "GiveUpOne"? Could you give up just ONE gift this Christmas to help someone else in need? What if we did without one gift and gave away the money from that gift to help others that need it more than we do? Pretty soon we could easily eliminate a whole lot of suffering. Imagine the possibilities.

Please tell everyone you know about this! Pass along this website. We want to see how many lives we can affect through this challenge.

Post your comments and any links to your favorite charities that you are supporting. Let's discover how you're helping others this Christmas season.

13 comments:

Mark Bradshaw said...

Bill,

I'll pass this along to my group as well. Thanks for putting this together.

Sir Lancelot said...

Always Excellent to see people at their best this time of year. Cheers!

Unknown said...

This is what the Holiday Season is supposed to be about. Now we have another way to share with those who don't have Happy Holidays! Amen!

Unknown said...

Bill -

Great idea - I'll pass the word!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful idea but why just at the holidays - the need is there the rest of the year too. I choose to give through out the year of not only money but time. I buy two grocery items and donate one to the local food bank in my community on a monthly basis. I see a great sale of clothing items and will pick up a few items throughout the year for all age groups and contribute those items. I also volunteer my time to various organizations that cater to those in need, helping to organize stock, distribute items and to delivery to those unable to come to the organization.

Think about your community members throughout the year - it makes for a stronger community!

Merry Christmas to all!

Anonymous said...

My small family gives to local giving trees and organizations like St. Jude's Children's Hospital instead of giving each other big gifts (we do small, fun, and/or handmade ones). Last year, my daughter's gift to me was a donation to a girls school in Romania (proud mama here). What better way to be grateful for what we have than to realize that we don't NEED anything but that others DO?

Bill, this idea should really take off as more people connect with the REAL Christmas spirit! Thank you for putting this together; everyone on my email list just got told about this project!

heather b said...

This is awesome. I love it. It is mercy with action attached. I will pass on the word and forward it to friends and family. thanks so much.

The Bernath's said...

Bill,
What a great idea! Thanks for taking the next step in this to spur us on!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill, Mom chose the $325 worth of necessities for NY children & I chose the same and 2 chickens. Thanks for sharing the site and hope this makes someone's Christmas a little merrier.

Bill Wolfe said...

Hey Dad - that's awesome. Good thinking to throw in a couple chickens for good measure :)

Here are the links to what my Mom and Dad bought:

NY Children Necessities and Chickens

IndyChristian said...

Bill... thanks for doing what you're doing. Hope this helps... we're featuring GiveUpOne at IndyChristian.com today.

Blessings!

Hoosier Hoffmans said...

Thanks for the website. We went to Horizon International (www.horizoninternationalinc.com) this morning and bought a cow for Zimbabwae. We did that before we saw this sight, but it still feels good.
I went to World Vision prior to that and did not see the matching gifts. I did see the kids in NYC in poverty. 1 in 3...can that be right? I think of 20 million people in NYC. Shouldn't there be enough to go around? 1 in 3!!! There is too much to do. Websites like this help the cause.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas Eve!
Bob & Mai Xia

Theresa said...

I am writing to you to seek assistance on any clubs or programs that you are aware of that help families in need at Christmas time. I was financially okay until I had to have an emergency hysterectomy in 08/07 and was on disability until 09/08. The employer I worked for released my job and denied my unemployment claim benefits. I had to apply for State of California assistance in September 2008 so that I could pay our rent and buy food.

Unfortunately, the welfare amount is only $555.00 a month cash and $273.00 a month for food stamps. As you might imagine this leaves me in a position where I have absolutely no money to purchase anything for my two girls (ages 17 and 18).

I would not write this unless I was desperate. I have been a single parent for 15 years with no financial assistance from their father whom left the state when the girls were ages 2 and 3. My position is eating away at me as I both girls just had birthdays on November 19 and November 27th and I was unable to give them even a small gift and I really don’t know how I am going to sit their on Christmas morning with nothing for them to open.

If you know of any person, club or group that provides gifts for the people who need assistance I would be more than grateful to see if you could pass this along to them.

Any help or assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.


Regards,
Theresa Hill
462 Bayview Avenue
Millbrae, CA 94030
Phone: 650.455.2807